Vivint Authorized Retailer Monroe
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Monroe & Surrounding Areas

Leading causes of residential fires in Monroe and how to prevent them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

When you own a home, there are many hazards to think about. Fire is chief among them, as it can arise anywhere and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage in the United States due to residential fires in 2021. Also during this year, there were over 350,000 reported occurrences. Luckily, there are actions you can take to stay clear of them. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Monroe.

What starts residential fires in Monroe?

Fires can begin in any location and without warning, whether ignited by a discarded cigarette in a garbage can or an unattended stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most widespread sorts of residential fires in Monroe and elsewhere. Ignored stovetops are the chief origin, so always keep an eye on that hot skillet when making a meal. It’s also worth nothing that drenching a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
  • Heating: Area heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Operating them for lengthy periods can cause internal parts to degrade and ignite. Worn cords and putting heaters by flammable objects like bed sheets or curtains may also lead to devastating results. Other heating devices, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and need to be inspected regularly.
  • Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overloaded extension cords are a few of the ways electrical complications lead to fires. Don’t ever run an appliance with a damaged cord, and make certain ignitable materials like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it checked out promptly.
  • Candles: If there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires caused by candles are still all too common and usually result from carelessness. Burning candles next to flammable items like drapes or keeping them within the domain of an inquisitive pet will lead to disaster.
  • Smoking: Despite the overall decrease in smoking across the nation, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Dozing off with a cigarette in hand or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can bring about devastating results.

The primary way to prevent house fires in Monroe is to eliminate careless behavior. Always pay attention when cooking, never leave a candle burning unattended, and dispose of cigarettes properly. If you must use a space heater, do so sparingly and invest in one that includes an automatic shut-off feature in the event it overturns.

Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Monroe

You should have smoke detectors on every floor and more near bedrooms. But you can take your home’s safety to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also be triggered due to elevated heat levels. Furthermore, since they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll warn you and your monitoring professionals whenever a crisis strikes. This is a nice feature, especially when you’re not around to hear the alarm and phone the fire department yourself.

Safeguard your home against known risks with a Vivint smart home in Monroe

Enhance the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll be appreciative of the instant updates to your cell phone and the reassurance that comes with professional monitoring. Contact (318) 758-9140 to get started.